Skip to Content

Spencers Brook

When visiting Northam, you can stop by scenic Spencers Brook via Clackline or Northam. Although nothing remains today of the Spencers Brook junction/station except for the former Stationmasters residence and remnant concrete foundations for the locomotive turntable, Spencer’s Brook was once an important railway junction for the Great Southern and Eastern Goldfields Railways.

 

Originally known as Brookton by the landowner (Thomas Wilding, who built the historical Brookton Hotel in 1884 which was renamed Spencers Brook Hotel in 1920, and which continues to trade to this day as Spencers Brook Tavern); it also features nearby the Muresk Institute, Curtin University's School of Agribusiness, Applied Biosciences and Environmental Biology.

 

Interesting Fact: During World War II, Spencers Brook was the location of the Australian Army 7th Supply Depot (7SD) operated by 8 Supply Personnel Company, which stored material such as clothing, medical supplies and food for storage and distribution. The depot was serviced by a spur line from the then Eastern Railway and remains of the depot can be seen on the right travelling toward the railway crossing on Spencers Brook Road from the Tavern.