Skip to Content

Subdivision, Compliance & Other Planning Matters


Freehold (Green Title) and Survey-Strata Subdivision

In Western Australia, the subdivision of land (including the amalgamation of lots) is controlled by the Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC) through the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage (DPLH). The Shire's involvement in this process is one of a referral body that provides comments on subdivision proposals.

General information, applications forms, submission requirement checklists and a guide to the fees payable for all subdivision applications are available on the WAPC website.

Strata Subdivision

The Shire has the authority to deal with most forms of Applications for Approval of a Strata Plan.  Further information in this regard can be found on the WAPC website or by contacting the Shire on (08) 9622 6100.

Development Compliance

If you are concerned that a development may be operating without an approval from the Shire, or contrary to approved plans and/or conditions of approval, in the interest of fairness and accountability, all enquiries/complaints are to be made in writing (letter, facsimile or email) to the Shire.

This information will enable the Shire to contact you should further information be required and to notify you of the outcome of the investigation. All compliance matters are dealt with in accordance with Shire Policy.

Copies of Existing Development Approvals

For written development application information for a property, you can request a copy of the existing plans and approvals held by the Shire.  To receive these approvals you are required to complete the application form and submit it to the Shire with the applicable fee. If you are not the landowner, you will require the landowner’s approval in writing, which must accompany the application.  The search process may take up to 10 business days.

Useful Planning Links

The following planning related websites that may be useful for people looking to undertake development within the Shire of Northam.

Department of Planning Lands and Heritage (DPLH)

– The DPLH is the State government authority responsible for overarching strategic outcomes within the state of Western Australia, and also deal with subdivision applications.


– Landgate is the Western Australian authority responsible for all land information and geographic data including maps and title searches.

State Administrative Tribunal 

– The State Administrative Tribunal (SAT) is the government body which is responsible for reviewing local government decisions, including the lodging of appeals against council decisions.

– The Dividing Fences Act (1961) deals with issues relating to dividing boundary fences which separate the land of different owners.

State Law Publisher 

– Official publisher of Western Australian legislation and statutory information including the Residential Design Codes (R-Codes).

State Heritage Office of Western Australia

– The State Heritage Office of Western Australia deals with the identification and conservation of heritage places.