Building Permits

Building Permits are controlled by the Building Act & Building Regulations 2012, and required for nearly all buildings including, but not limited to:

  • Construction or placement of a building
  • Renovation, alteration or repair
  • Site works, including changing ground levels in preparation for building work
  • Residential dwellings, including additions
  • Commercial buildings including fitouts and refurbishments
  • Carports, sheds, garages and workshops
  • Patios, verandas, decking and gazebos
  • Swimming pools (below ground, above ground & inflatable) and spas
  • Rainwater tanks greater than 5000 litres capacity
  • Retaining Walls greater than 500mm in height
  • Front fences (which must also comply with the Shires Fencing Local Law

Unless exempted by Schedule 4, Part 2, which can be found on Page 93 of the Building Regulations 2012 

Applying for a Building Permit

Anyone can apply for a building permit including the owner, builder, architect or building surveyor. The applicant provides details of the person responsible for the work, i.e. the builder, in the application form. The builder takes responsibility for ensuring the construction complies with the applicable building standards and the requirements of the building permit.

The building commission website contains a lot of helpful information regarding building work, here are a couple of links for information important to building projects:

Building in a Bushfire Areas, Smoke Alarms & more

Building Approval forms, classes & fees 

The Shire has produced checklists (see the bottom of the page for links) to help you supply the correct information. 

There are two types of building permit applications “certified” and “uncertified” which are explained here:

Certified Building Permit Application - Form BA1

A certified application is provided by a private non-local government building surveying contractor & must be accompanied by a Certificate of Design Compliance. This type of application can be for any class of building and incidental structure and the shire, as the permit authority has 10 business days to determine the application.

Applications for Class 1b and Class 2 to Class 9 buildings (commercial) must be made as certified applications whereas this is optional for Class 1a and 10 buildings and incidental structures.

Note: Certification from a structural engineer is not to be confused with building certification, they are two separate disciplines

Uncertified Building permit Applications - Form BA2

An uncertified application is submitted to the permit authority without a certificate of design compliance and can only be made for Class 1a and Class 10 buildings .

The building surveyor employed by the permit authority (the Shire) checks the proposal and issues a certificate of design compliance and the building permit. The permit authority has 25 business days to determine an uncertified application.

Building Application Forms

Building application forms can be found on the Building Commision's website at the link below

Building Application Forms

Click here for a link to the Building Commission for List of Private Registered Building Surveyors, Registered Builders etc.

Building Application Checklists

The shire has produced checklists to help you supply all the necessary information so that your application can be processed in a timely manner.

BA1 Certified Checklist

BA2 Checklist for an Outbuilding eg. shed, carport

BA2 Checklist for a Dwelling

BA2 Checklist for a Pool