Skip to Content

Septic Systems


For all unsewered areas, all properties will require onsite effluent treatment systems. An application to 'install apparatus for the treatment of sewage' will be required and all fees must be paid before construction may commence. Plumbing connections are required to be done by a licensed plumber.

The type of septic tank or leach drain system that can be used on a property depends on the amount of space available, depth of ground water, proximity to water bodies, soil types, contours of the land, and various other factors. Sites may need to be assessed individually by the Shire's Health Department to determine the most appropriate effluent disposal system for the property.

The effluent treatment system intended for the property must be a type approved by the Department of Health.

For further information, please contact our Environmental Health Officer on 9622 6100, or email [email protected].

Submitting an Application

The septic application form is available on the Department of Health website. Please follow the directions on the form and only fill in the required information.

Your application can be emailed in full with the subject 'Health Effluent Disposal Application + [Your Property Address]' to [email protected].