Skip to Content


Service Complaints

We realise that sometimes, despite our best efforts, you may not be happy with the way we have delivered a service.

We encourage you to bring your concern to us directly so the matter can be resolved promptly.

Complaints made to the Shire of Northam by customers, residents and ratepayers must be handled within the following guidelines:

  • All complaints are handled at no charge and dealt with in accordance with the Complaints Management Framework as adopted and amended from time to time by the Shire.
  • All complaints received by the Shire must be recorded and documented and shall be acknowledged as soon as possible and in any event within two normal working days;
  • All service complaints and complaints concerning an employee or contractor of the Shire will be investigated and complainants notified of the results of the investigation, within the prescribed timeframes of the Complaints Process. The Shire will endeavour to respond to complaints within 10 normal working days however when this is not possible, we will advise the complainant of the delay.
  • Where a complainant is not satisfied with the outcome, an appeal against the result can be lodged with:
    • Chief Executive Officer, or the matter can be referred to,
    • Ombudsman Western Australia’s Office for investigation:

                  Postal Address: PO Box Z5386, St Georges Terrace, Perth, WA 6831

                  Telephone: 08 9220 7555

                  Toll-free: 1800 117 000

                  Facsimile: 08 9200 7500

                  Email: [email protected]

  • Complaints which when assessed relate to corrupt or improper conduct must be referred as defined in the Complaints Process for investigation as per any applicable legislation.

Making a service complaint

Please provide us with your opinion so we can improve the delivery and standard of our services. Should you require any assistance with making your concerns known, please ask any of our officers. You can make a complaint by:

Visiting us at: Administration Centre, 395 Fitzgerald Street, Northam WA 6401

(Opening hours: Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm)

In writing: PO Box 613, Northam WA 6401

Telephone: (08) 9622 6100

Email: [email protected]

Making a complaint about a Council Member, Committee Member or Candidate 

An alleged breach of Division 3 of the Code of Conduct for Council Members, Committee Members and Candidates must be made on the approved Alleged Breach Complaints Form within 1 month after the occurrence of the alleged breach.

Any person who has lodged a complaint, or any person against whom a complaint has been made, must keep the complaint confidential until the complaint has been determined or a finding made.

Other complaints of minor breaches are to be made in accordance with legislation. The form and information is available via the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries - Minor Breach System.

Some breaches are considered Serious Breaches. Complaints for serious breaches are to be made in accordance with legislation as outlined by the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries - Serious Breach Complaints webpage.

All complaints that result in a finding under section 5.110(6)(b) that a minor breach has occurred are published in the Shire’s Complaint Register.

Public Interest Disclosure Act and reporting misconduct

The Shire of Northam does not tolerate corrupt or other improper conduct, including the mismanagement of public resources, and encourages the reporting of any such instances.  All Shire of Northam employees and Elected Members are public officers.

The Public Interest Disclosure Act 2003 (PID Act) encourages people to come forward with information about wrongdoing without fear of reprisal. It is often referred to as "Whistleblower" legislation.

The PID Act provides a system for the matters disclosed to be investigated and for appropriate action to be taken.

A public interest disclosure is made when a person discloses to a proper authority information which tends to show wrongdoing by a public authority, public officer or public sector contractor performing a public function. In local government that is the Public Interest Disclosure Officer (PID Officer).

A public interest disclosure is more than a general complaint or dissatisfaction with a product, service or decision of government. It must relate to wrongdoing, not be trivial and be made in the proper manner to a proper authority to the relevant person (PID Officer).

The PID Officer has obligations once an allegation has been made and you too have obligations under the Act. Once an allegation is made it cannot be withdrawn and must be managed in accordance with the PID Act. Making a false or misleading disclosure is an offence under the PID Act.

The PID Officer for the public body should be contacted for advice prior to making a disclosure. Your concern may be able to be addressed through another means rather than the Public Interest Disclosure process.

Information for the public is available in the Rights and Obligations under the Public Interest Disclosure Act 2003.

Further information can be accessed from the WA Government website.

Report a Matter to the Shire of Northam

If you wish to make an oral or written report to the Shire of Northam, please contact the Chief Executive Officer on (08) 9622 6100 or [email protected]

Please note that a person who knowingly reports a matter that is misleading or false, commits an offence and is liable to a fine of $12,000 or imprisonment for one year.

Public Interest Disclosure Form

Shire of Northam Public Interest Disclosure Process: