Private Swimming Pools and Spas

Private swimming pools and/or spas are required to have a compliant safety barrier (fence) at all times. Pool safety is important to ensure the safety of our children and prevent drowning, which is the most common cause of preventable death of children aged 0-5 years. Pools with a side height of 1200mm clear may not require a full fence if the side complies as a pool safety barrier, however the section where the ladder, inlet and outlet pipes are located are required to be fenced. Pool fences must comply with AS1926.1 Swimming Pool Safety - Fencing for Swimming Pools, Building Act 2011 and the Building Regulations 2012. 

A private swimming pool is a swimming pool and/or spa which has the capacity to contain water that is more than 300mm deep. Please note that inflatable and portable pools more than 300mm deep are not exempt from pool fencing laws.  All private swimming pools holding more than 300mm of water must have a compliant pool fence to restrict access by young children and be inspected by the Shire every 4 years.


Handy Tips for Pool and Spa Safety at Home

Here are some handy tips:

  • Always close the gate
  • Make sure that the gate self-closes and self-latches from all positions (propping a gate open is against the law and may result in a fine)
  • Remove all climbable objects adjacent to the pool/spa barrier (outside and inside)
  • Ensure continued maintenance of the safety barrier

You can also visit the Building Commission's website where you can access the Rules for Pools publication and other useful information: 


Building Permits for Swimming Pools

The Building Act 2011 and the Building Regulations 2012, requires that a building permit must be obtained prior to the construction or installation of a private swimming pool, spa or safety barrier. Note that pool and safety barriers applications can be submitted separately if required, however it can be easier to simply submit your application altogether as one.

For information about obtaining a Building Permit for a Swimming Pool / Fence, please visit the page on Lodging a Building Permit Application.