Means a “Permit to Burn the Bush” as issued by an Authorised Officer under section 18 of the Bush Fires Act 1954.
- Applications for Permits are available from at no cost.
- You must comply with all conditions imposed by the Shire or an Authorised Officer in respect of any Permit issued by the Shire.
- Permits will not be valid on days of “very high”, “severe”, “extreme” or “catastrophic” ﬁre danger.
- Permits may also be revoked if in the opinion of an authorised officer the conditions are not deemed suitable for prescribed burns.
For a list of Permits issued in the Shire of Northam for the week please click the link below.
Northam Fire Permits
Please call the Shire of Northam for Fire Permit information 9622 6100
Before you call 000 to report a fire check the up to date list of burn offs in your area by visiting
The Burning of Garden Refuse
Before conducting any burn off or permit burn you must advise DFES Communications on 1800 198 140
Pursuant to the powers contained in section 24G (2) of the Bush Fires Act 1954, the Shire of Northam prohibits the burning of all garden refuse within its district during the Prohibited Burning Times. This prohibition applies to all persons within the Shire's district.
No Burning in Prohibited Period
- The burning of garden refuse or rubbish on the ground or in an incinerator that would otherwise be permitted under Section 24F is prohibited absolutely on all land within the district during the Prohibited Burning Time.
Properties under 2000m2 No Burning during Restricted Period
- The burning of garden refuse or rubbish on the ground or in an incinerator that would otherwise be permitted under Section 24F is prohibited on all land under 2000m2 (square metres) in size during the Restricted Burning Time, without a Fire Permit issued under Regulation 15 of the Bush Fires Act 1954.
Properties over 2000m2 Can burn small piles between 6pm and 11pm in the Restricted Period without a permit
- During the Restricted Burning Time, residents on land that is greater than 2,000m² in area it is permissible to undertake the burning of garden refuse (dry leaves, small branches, off cuts, etc.) in separate piles on the ground no larger than 1.0 m³ between the hours of 18:00 (6pm) and 23:00 (11pm) by complying with all the conditions of section 24F (3) in the Bush Fires Act 1954.
Permits Required in Restricted Period if the burn does not fit into the categories above
- During the Restricted Burning Time, residents of the Shire may burn the bush for fire mitigation purposes by following the conditions of a valid permit to burn.
From the 22 February 2017 Permits will be available for agricultural purposes only for stubble and chaff burns in preparation for cropping.
Permits are available for the Restricted Period by contacting the Fire Control Officer in your area from the list below.
Shire of Northam Fire Control Officers
Please click and select your area for a list of local Permit Issuing Officers
For the full list of Northam Fire Control Officers click the link below
Fire Permit Officers & Fire Control Officers 2016/17 List
Fire Danger Rating Factsheet